Tuesday 7 February 2012

Conversation With Self.


“Oh that’s nice.”
“What is?”
“That is, that they’ve made.”
“What is it?”
“I don’t know but I want to make one.”
“Why?”
“Because I think I can make one.”
“But what’s it for?”
“I don’t know!”
“So why do you want to make one?”
“Because I can!!”
“But what will you do with it once you have made it?”
“I’ve no idea.”
“So what’s the point in making it?”
“Just to see if I can.  I just have to make something.”
“But without a use or a home to go to there is no reason. Everything has to have a reason”
“Why does someone walk around a golf course hitting a little white ball?”
“Exercise? To be with friends? To gain a score?”
“But to me it’s a pretty pointless pastime.  As is taking a walk from A to B and back again.  You have a bit of fresh air and a memory.”
“And if you sit and scribble, paint, stitch etc you just end up with a cupboard full of stuff that doesn’t go anywhere.”
“That’s alright then. We’re agreed that I can just make stuff just because I can, just like I could just go for a walk or have a game of golf.  All absolutely pointless stuff that won’t change the world, just make my world a little nicer.”
“OK, I’ll agree to that.”
“Good. Now go away I want to create and fill my cupboards!”


A genuine conversation I have with myself, and not just the once or twice.  I do envy people who can just churn stuff out whether it has a purpose or destination or not.   Everyone has to have an outlet but why do I have to keep justifying the one I enjoy?

.